Sunday, January 20, 2013

Bobbe's trip to Mykonos

Bobbe continues her report from her Mediterranean adventure:

From Athens, I headed on a visit to two Greek islands. Greece has a over a thousand islands, some of which are very small. All of them are very beautiful. Can you find Greece's islands on a map of Europe? What is the largest Greek island? What is the name of the sea that lies north of most of the islands and separates Greece from Turkey?

The first Greek island that I visited was Mykonos. It is a beautiful island that is very popular with tourists. Here is a picture of me posing by the sea:


I pose on the Mykonos waterfront.
The symbol of Mykonos is the pelican. Pelicans are birds that have very big beaks to eat fish that they catch in the water. A pelican hunts by skimming the water with its beak. It then drains the water out of its beak and eats whatever is left. Mykonos has had a pelican as its symbol since 1958, when a fisherman rescued a wounded pelican and nursed it back to health on the island. That pelican's name was Petros. Today, there are three pelicans who live on the island as its mascots, one of which is also named Petros. This pelican didn't pay any attention to me because it was busy preening itself.
I get awfully close to a Mykonos pelican.
After my encounter with the pelican, I took advantage of the best Mykonos has to offer: the beach. It was a perfect day, and the sun felt warm on my fur.
I enjoy the beach in Mykonos.
Stay tuned for my next post from another Greek island!

--Bobbe

No comments:

Post a Comment