Sunday, February 26, 2012

My trip to London, part 2: an evening walk along the Thames

Here is my second post about my trip to London. After I left St Paul's Cathedral, I went for a long walk along the River Thames. Readers of my blog who know a lot about English geography will know that the Thames is the same river that flows through Oxford. In London, it is crossed by many bridges.

Here is a picture of me on the south side of the Thames looking back at St Paul's Cathedral. Behind me is the Millennium Bridge, a footbridge that was first opened in 2000. (Those of you are Harry Potter fans and enjoyed my pictures of Christ Church dining hall might recognize Millennium Bridge from the opening scenes of the film version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, in which it was torn down)



Me in front of Millennium Bridge and St Paul's Cathedral
After I crossed Millennium Bridge, I continued east along the south side of the Thames to Tower Bridge. Tower Bridge is a suspension bridge built in the 1880s and 1890s. You can't see in this picture, but the cables that hold up the bridge are painted bright blue.

Me in front of Tower Bridge from the south side of the Thames.
The Tower Bridge got its name because it is right next to the Tower of London, which for a long time was the fortress defending the city of London and the residence of the British monarchs. The Tower of London was first built by William the Conqueror, who became King of England in 1066. Over the years, the Tower of London was also used as a prison. It has an awfully gruesome history. Here is a picture of it behind me and across the river.

Me on the south side of the Thames with the Tower of London in the background.
After I left the Tower Bridge area, I walked west along the Thames all the way to Westminster. I crossed Westminster Bridge next to the Houses of Parliament, which is where the government of the United Kingdom meets to discuss laws and cast votes. The British Parliament is divided into two houses, the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The Houses of Parliament are recognizable because of a big clock tower, which people call "Big Ben." Technically, though, the name Big Ben does not refer to the tower but to the very large bell in the clock in the tower. I figure it's always important to be precise in my blog.

Me on Westminster Bridge in front of the Houses of Parliament.
 From the other side of Westminster Bridge (i.e. on the north side of the Thames looking south), you can see the London Eye. The London Eye is a huge ferris wheel-like contraption that gives visitors amazing views over all of London. It lights up in pretty colors at night.

Me in front of the London Eye.
 Finally, after I left the Houses of Parliament, I went by Westminster Abbey. Westminster Abbey is a church in London that has a lot of history. This is the church where British monarchs are crowned. It's also where Prince William married Catherine Middleton last spring.

Me in front of Westminster Abbey.
My question for my friends in Ms. Kelly's class is whether you can find the names of some of the many, many famous people who are buried in Westminster Abbey. What are they famous for?

I will put up my third post from London soon.

--Benny

No comments:

Post a Comment