Saturday, February 25, 2012

My trip to London, part 1: St Paul's Cathedral

I recently traveled to London and walked all around the city. I'm going to share my photos from London with you in three parts, starting with a post about St Paul's Cathedral.

St Paul's is the main cathedral in London, right in the center of the city. It was built after the Great Fire of London destroyed the previous cathedral in 1666. The huge new cathedral took until 1708 to finish building. It was designed by a famous architect named Christopher Wren, who had to work very hard to support such a big dome so that it would stand up. The dome is so perfectly round on the inside that two people who stand at exactly the right places on opposite sides of it can hear each other whisper. Wren designed a lot of other great buildings, but St Paul's was his masterpiece. When he died, he was buried in the crypt of the cathedral with the epitaph "If you seek his monument - look around you."

Here are some pictures of me outside the cathedral:



Here I am at the front of the cathedral.
Here I am right underneath the dome.
Here I am on the street that leads from St Paul's down to the River Thames.

To my friends in Ms. Kelly's class -- I wonder if you can use the internet and find some other buildings that were designed by Christopher Wren. I have recently taken an interest in architecture, so I hope to visit more of his buildings and report on them for you soon.

My next post from London will be up tomorrow!

--Benny

No comments:

Post a Comment