Friday, December 30, 2011

My trip to Tokyo

I just got back from my very first adventure, a whirlwind four-day trip to Tokyo. Tokyo is the capital of Japan. It also has more people than any other city in the world. Quite an overwhelming start to my travels!

On my first morning in Tokyo, I woke up very early in the morning and went to the Tsukiji Fish Market. It is the biggest fish market in the world. Every morning, starting at about 4am, hundreds of fishermen auction off their freshest seafood to everybody who wants to buy it. As a bear, I enjoy a good piece of salmon, but I was shocked by how much else they were selling at the market. I found every kind of seafood I could imagine – plus lots of kinds of seafood that I don't care to imagine. Bears don't particularly like to eat octopus legs, but all the tuna looked pretty good. Here is a picture of me standing in front of some crab legs.




While I was in Tokyo, I also went to look at the Imperial Palace. Japan is the only country in the world that still has an emperor. The current emperor's name is Akihito. Unfortunately, since he is living in his palace, I couldn't go in and look around. I just have a picture of the palace from the outside.



The last picture of me is of the Ginza district, which is right in the heart of Tokyo's shopping district. It is an area famous for its department stores and other shops. At night, all of the vertical signs along the side of the road are lit up in neon lights. Tokyo is a very important city for the world economy, so lots of businesses are located there. The many stores of the Ginza district reflect Tokyo's economic prosperity.


To my friends at Green Gables Elementary School – I want you to get out a world map to see where I have traveled. I flew over the Pacific Ocean from Seattle to Japan. Can you find Japan? Can you find Tokyo? Japan has four main islands, of which Tokyo is on the largest. Do you know what that island is called? Can you find the name of the large mountain located near Tokyo?

4 comments:

  1. What did you eat there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriel, that's a great question. When I travel, I always try to sample some of the local food. I even had some sushi with raw fish. But I also enjoyed having some tempura shrimp and some chicken teriyaki. And I went to a restaurant where I got to cook my own meat right at the table. I have a lot of trouble using chopsticks because I don't have thumbs, but nonetheless I really enjoyed the food in Japan. Have you ever eaten Japanese food?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I have had Japanese food before.Were will you go next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm off to England in about a week. I will go at least to London and Oxford -- and hopefully to other places in England as well. I will be based in England for the foreseeable future, which will be convenient because lots of people travel from London all over Europe. Check back next week for my first blog post from England!

    ReplyDelete