Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My passport

I just got my passport, which I really want to show to all of my friends at Green Gables Elementary School. A passport is a document that certifies a person's identity and allows them to travel outside their home country. My passport declares that I am an American citizen residing in Federal Way, Washington.


Every passport includes a message from somebody high in the government of the country that issues it asking that the bearer be allowed to travel unharmed to other countries. Since I am American, my passport contains a message from the Secretary of State. If I were British, my passport would have a similar message from Queen Elizabeth II. With my passport, I can travel almost anywhere in the world.


Whenever I enter a new country, I have to stop and show my passport. The people who work at the border or at the airport put a stamp in my passport to show that I have entered their country. Sometimes, I might also have to get a visa, which is a document that goes in my passport and which gives me permission to stay in a new country for a certain period of time.
All of my visas will be for tourism, since I am just traveling around to see new places. Other people get lots of different kinds of visas – for work, for school, or even to live for extended periods of time in another country.


Here are some pictures of my new passport. The first picture is of the front cover. The second picture is of the page with my signature (it's a paw print because I am a bear). The third picture is of the ID page of the passport, which contains my photograph. The fourth picture is of one of the visa pages in my passport, which is where I will get stamps and visas as I travel.


My passport is written in four languages: English, French, Arabic, and Chinese. This way, the people who work at the border in different countries will be able to understand my passport. Perhaps some of the students at Green Gables Elementary School know even more languages – I will ask them when I meet them on January 3, 2012.

Benny






No comments:

Post a Comment