Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My trip to Hong Kong, part 3: Cheung Chau

Hello from Hong Kong, where my friend Kara took me on a boat ride to the island of Cheung Chau. Cheung Chau is in the southwestern part of Hong Kong, and you have to take a ferry to get to it. Cheung Chau is most famous for its annual Bun Festival, when people on the island make and eat a lot of really yummy buns. I loved visiting the Bun Festival on Cheung Chau!
The weather in Hong Kong was kind of hazy on the day I went to Cheung Chau, but fortunately I still got a beautiful view of the city from the ferry.
I ride on the ferry toward Cheung Chau Island.
One of the first places I went on Cheung Chau was to the Pai Tak Temple. This temple was built in the late 18th century so that the fishermen who lived on Cheung Chau could pray for their safety. All of the red posters are very common in Chinese temples, since red is considered a very lucky color in Chinese culture.
I pose in front of some red character posters.
Once I got to Cheung Chau, I couldn't wait to get some of the famous buns. I couldn't even wait to pose for this photograph before I had to take a bite!
I enjoy a Cheung Chau bun.
On Cheung Chau, people don't just eat buns during the Bun Festival; they also climb them. The residents of Cheung Chau build huge silos decorated with buns, which visitors can then climb up.
I look from afar at the bun poles.
A close-up shot of some climbing buns.
Look at all those buns!
In this picture, you can see people enjoying all of the different ways you can celebrate buns.
Of course, eating buns isn't enough to make for a nutritious meal, so people on Cheung Chau have to eat other things too. Here is a man selling some fish.
I ate fish with my buns.
--Benny

No comments:

Post a Comment