Saturday, April 27, 2013

Bobbe's trip to Morocco, part 5: eating Moroccan breakfast

Bobbe tells us about what she eats for breakfast in Morocco:

Living in Morocco has been wonderful so far. One of my favorite parts is getting to eat the Moroccan food. In my previous posts, I showed you my lunch of chicken with couscous and vegetables as well as another lunch I had of pastilla. But rather than just tell you about what I have eaten for lunch and dinner, I think you might be interested to know what I usually eat for breakfast. So here are some pictures of my Moroccan breakfast!

Moroccans like to drink mint tea for breakfast. I like to go to the outdoor market and buy huge bundles of mint. Then I throw a few leaves into each cup of tea.

Along with my mint tea, I like to eat a kind of Moroccan bread known as harcha. Harcha is made from semolina, which is the same type of coarse wheat used to make couscous. Moroccans mix semolina with butter and milk, then fry it in a pan. The resulting bread tastes a lot like cornbread. It is very filling, but it is crumbly so I sometimes get crumbs on my fur.
I enjoy eating harcha for breakfast.
Another common Moroccan breakfast food is called msemen. Msemen is also made from semolina, but it is much smoother. In order to make it, you roll out the dough until it is very thin. Then you fold the dough over and over until it is square. The resulting dough has multiple layers. When you fry it in a pan, it becomes crispy on the outside, but the inside remains chewy.
I also enjoy msemen.
Both harcha and msemen are good to eat if you are going to have a busy day and you need a lot of energy. Eating such a good breakfast helps me feel energetic when I want to go sightseeing in Morocco!

--Bobbe

No comments:

Post a Comment