Saturday, October 20, 2012

Bobbe's trip to Rome, part 3: fountains, piazzas, and pasta

Here is Bobbe's third post from Rome:

As much as I enjoyed learning about ancient Rome and visiting Vatican City, I think my favorite part of Rome was just getting the chance to sit down and enjoy the city. Rome is full of squares called "piazzas." My favorite one was the Piazza Navona, where I spent a long time hanging out and watching all the Romans go by. The Piazza Navona is famous because it contains three really big fountains. Isn't it cool that one piazza would have three fountains?


The tallest fountain is the Fountain of the Four Rivers, which was designed by a famous sculptor named Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The fountain surrounds an ancient Egyptian obelisk. The fountain represents rivers from four continents where the Catholic Church had spread: the Danube of Europe, the Nile of Africa, the Ganges of Asia, and the Rio de la Plata of the Americas.
I pose in front of the Fountain of the Four Rivers.
Bernini also made a statue of a Moor wrestling with a dolphin for another fountain in the Piazza Navona, but most of the fountain was designed by a man named Giacomo Della Porta. This fountain is called the Moro Fountain.
Here is a photo of the Moro Fountain.
Della Porta also designed the third fountain in the Piazza Navona, which is called the Fountain of Neptune. Neptune was the Roman god of the sea, so it makes sense that he would be featured in a fountain.
This is the front of the Fountain of Neptune.
Here's the back of the Fountain of Neptune, with the obelisk of the Fountain of the Four Rivers visible in the background.
Here's the side of the Fountain of Neptune.
Rome's most famous fountain actually isn't in the Piazza Navona. The most famous fountain is called the Trevi Fountain. A legend says that, if you throw a coin into the Trevi Fountain, you will be assured of the opportunity to return to Rome. I had a great time in Rome, so of course I flipped in a coin. I hope that the legend is true – I would love to return to Rome.
Here I am in front of the Trevi Fountain.
Which is your favorite one of the Roman fountains that I visited?

Another cool building that I visited in Rome was the Pantheon. The word "pantheon" means "all gods," and indeed the building was once a temple to all of the Roman gods. Inside the Pantheon is a dome that is perfectly round. Today, the Pantheon is used as a Catholic church.
Here I am in front of the Pantheon.
I also have a picture of the Tiber River that I want to show you. The Tiber is an important river that flows through Rome.
I sit on a bridge above the Tiber.
Finally, here is a picture of me having a great dinner in Rome. You probably know that Italy is known for its terrific food, and particularly for its pasta. At this meal, I had lasagna, spaghetti, bread, and salad. What a great way to enjoy Rome!
I enjoy a fantastic Italian meal in Rome.
--Bobbe










No comments:

Post a Comment